Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

What is The Self-Help Project?

"Freakishly Resilient" describes the self-help industry (Forbes.com, 1-15-09). What industry has not been effected by slumps in the economy? As if you couldn't guess by now- of course! The self-help industry. So how does someone help themselves? I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

If anyone needs help, it's me. I've been in transition the last few years: from single to married, from not mother to new mother, from career woman to stay-at-home mom, from "normal" to dealing with a recent chronic illness diagnosis (Rheumatoid Arthritis). Needing to redefine who I am would be an understatement. At this point, if I were to write a self-help book, it would be titled "What Not to Do; and Other Stupid Stuff."

Even though I consider laughter a cure-all, I am searching for something more- plus Adam Sandler hasn't delivered in his last few movies. I am willing to venture far outside my logical boundaries (and comfort zone) and what I was taught during my academic days of strict research psychology. I will look no further than the self-help industry for a me make-over.

I am enlisting the help of an industry that requires no evidence, no research to support their claims, and no quality control- even you can write a self-help book. In fact, I haven't seen much of my Chihuahua lately so I think he's been writing one entitled "Own You Owner; Take Back the Leash and Be Your Own Boss".

On a side note: I do find it humorous that if you look up "Self-help" on Wikipedia.com, a comment box at the top of the page states "This article has multiple issues". Seriously? Too funny!

This is my quest to test various self-help strategies, techniques, and advice. I will be testing a new self-help technique every 2 months and giving weekly updates on my blog, beginning with:

~ Self-hypnosis CDs. Actually, I was trained in hypnosis 13 yrs ago but never pursued it. I believe it is beneficial with follow-through and that's what I plan on doing. Average results seen in 30 days and I am trying it for 60.

~Dr. Andrew Weil; 8 Weeks to Optimal Health. I want to revive my eating regimen and Dr. Weil gets a lot of credit in his area of expertise.

~Spiritual or Religious program

~ Meditation. I would self-diagnose me as borderline ADD and I have a 2 year old so I may need some medication before my meditation.

~ Daily self-affirmations and nightly gratitude journal. This should be an interesting one for me since I would otherwise label self-affirmations as fluff talk or conversations Martha Stewart has with herself while watching re-runs of her own show.

more to come....suggestions welcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment