Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tweaking My Meditation Routine

Now that I'me back on track with meditating almost every evening, I've learned a few tricks that work wonders for me.

  • Knowing I won't be interrupted- since I'm a mom, there are only a couple of places or times when I get uninterrupted peace. In the bathroom and/or after my daughter is asleep. I've made my meditation time either in the bathroom while waiting for bath water to fill the tub. The back ground noise is good and my family knows to not interrupt me during bath time. And another time that works is after my daughter goes to sleep.

  • Having background noise is helpful- I can't have absolute quiet when meditating or else there is a noise in my head called silence that gets too loud. I put on a mood cd with natural, soothing sounds. If my daughter is asleep, this also won't wake her up.

  • Try focus meditation- I have, what looks like a deck of cards, but it is phrases or a specific thought/goal to focus on while meditating. This has been extremely helpful for me. Having something to focus on is probably best for anybody new to meditation, like myself.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog, Laura Jean. A favorite! I love reading about healing, meditation and spiritual therapy. Thanks ~ be well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thank you for sharing your experience. Meditation has be on my to-do-list for years, but I somehow never was able to really create a routine. My intuition guided me to purchase Mindfulness Meditation CD by Jon Kabat Zinn, so now I just put the headphones...and here I am meditating. Later on as Jon suggests we have to find our own way (w/out headphones :)), though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try focusing on your breath and watch how the it changes with thoughts that may arise during meditating.

    ReplyDelete